The botanical name of "ewedu" is "Corchorous Olitorius, Family Tiliaceae" It derives its English name, the long-fruited vegetable from the appearance of its fruit. Though the fruit of the vegetable is edible i.e usage against fever locally- it is often kept for seed multiplication and propagation.
Some health benefits are;
1. It is used to control or prevent dysentery, worm infestation, and constipation.
2. It’s a good source of fibre, low in calories but high in vitamins.
3. It is used for pain, piles, and tumors.
4. It is a panacea for hard labor during delivery.
5. It used for cystitis,fever, and gonorrhea. The cold infusion is said to restore the appetite livery and strength.
6. It is an antioxidant trio of Vitamins A, C and E which fend off free radicals, thereby protecting from cancer and other degenerative diseases