Reason why fishes are becoming toxic-Scientists

The environments are adversely polluted nowadays, with waters filled chemicals and other toxic substances.
One of those toxic substances is microbeads- the tiny plastic particles commonly found in face scrubs, body wash, and other cosmetics. The toxins attached to microbeads can contaminate fish directly. A team from RMIT University in Australia finds that fish can absorb up to 12.5 percent of the pollution from microbeads.
   Any who eats such contaminated fish, has eaten toxic substance. The RMIT team from University in Australia said that their next step is to determine the implications of our findings on microbeads for public health, working out the significance of this exposure pathway and precisely measuring how much pollution could be entering this human food chain.”
Microbeads are in a huge amount of different cosmetic products that can be washed down our sinks and into the ocean, where fish can’t help but to consume them, because they’re so small.

These microbeads then end up sitting in the stomach of fish, and, just like any plastic, they attract and concentrate toxic chemicals – including a class of pollutants called polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which are known to cause neurological problems, decreased immune function, and even fertility problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment