What is your food year resolution

During the turn of the year, the happiness in the air is so all encompassing that it influences so many unconscious decisions like drinking to stupor, over eating, clubbing, drinking among other fanfares. While some are left to count their losses thereafter, others form a habit out of their escapades and live with it.

In all, New Year comes with different principles and policies from both individuals and organisations alike, the saying ‘New Year, New System’ is being used by Dick and Harry. But what is more alarming is that the determination that spurs people to making new resolutions swiftly is so short lived; they revert to default mode in just few months into the year. While these resolutions could be taken for granted without backfiring, there is one resolution that needs to be followed with details; that is the Food Resolution.
Not many people see the need for making a food resolution, in fact, according to experts; about 90 per cent of the world’s population, with a large proportion from developing countries eat what they see. The remaining 10 per cent eat what they like and not what they need to meet their health requirement. This has in no measure contributed to failing health in many individuals.
According to Elizabeth Bello, Quality Control Manager at Chefvyz Fast Food, Alagomeji, Lagos State, food resolution is as important as any other one and should be followed righteously because that is the only way to having a good health. She added that nutritional value of the food, what food to take at what time and availability of the food are what should be considered in a food resolution.
Interestingly, one doesn’t have to break the bank to maintain or attain a very good health standard. Below are things to consider in drawing an achievable food resolution:
Make it a vegetable year
Truth is, there is no yardstick to measure good health with that vegetable wouldn’t fit into it. Whenever one considers a source of food, good for nutritional purposes, then vegetable shouldn’t be far off. Bello explained that vegetables are highly rich in antioxidants, fibre and phytochemical. She continued: “vegetables are low in calories and fat but contain good amounts of vitamins and minerals. All the Green-Yellow-Orange vegetables are rich sources of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, beta-carotene, vitamin B-complex, vitamin-C, vitamin-A, and vitamin K. As in fruits, vegetables too are home for many antioxidants. These health benefiting phytochemical compounds firstly help to protect the human body from oxidant stress, diseases, and cancers, and secondly; help the body to develop the capacity to fight against the above listed challenges by boosting immunity.
“Eat at least five to seven servings of fresh vegetables every day. Whenever possible; go for organic farm vegetables to get maximum health benefits. They are not very expensive if you can find them from the nearby local farm owners. Organic varieties tend to be smaller, but have rich flavour, possess good concentration of vitamins, minerals and are loaded with numerous health benefiting anti-oxidants. In the market, however, always buy small quantities so that they should last for more than a day or two. There is no point in eating unfit greens.” Examples of vegetables to consider are onions, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, okra, lettuce, potatoes among others.
Keep your immune system active
According to experts, research over the past 10 years has shown that nutrition plays a major role in supporting the production and action of both the cells and the soluble factors of the immune system. Protein, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and certain vitamins, and minerals are all keys to a healthy immune system. However, processed foods and foods produced with pesticides or not grown organically may also be problematic for one’s immune function. Toxic metals such as cadmium, lead and mercury are immunosuppressive. Some pesticides and preservatives can negatively affect the gastrointestinal lining.
Shut silent killers up
Diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, kidney malfunction and stroke are diseases that have been attributed to consumption of unhealthy foods. Avoiding these foods may be as simple as just being disciplined. Having in mind that junks and processed foods could be an easy link of exposing the body to these diseases, Bello advised that foods rich in Omega3 fat, vitamins as well as food supplements should be preferred to fatty foods.
Source: tribuneonlineng

No comments:

Post a Comment